Using RStudio with a Chromebook

Given my interest in using R as an analysis tool and using a Chromebook as my main laptop at home and on side projects for 2 years, thought I'd take a quick  look at some options for combining the two.


Option 1 - Using RStudio on AWS


This has been my main usage of R at home, using RStudio on Windows 10 at work. With a couple of preset images created it's easy to get up and running. I used the image created by Louis Aslett. There are a few alternatives around now, even the Amazon have an article that goes into a bit more depth on Running R on AWS. THis allows you to fine tune what is setup. I have been using this for about a year now and the experience is so seamless on a Chromebook, since everything else is also running as a Chrome app.

Pros: 

  • Use computing power in the cloud, can easily share
  • Consistent experience no matter the computer you use to access it

Cons: 

  • AWS management consoles do have a learning curve
  • Small monthly charge for storage option in the image

Option 2 - On a Chromebook directly using Linux beta

This is one of the newer options. I used Mark Sellor's guide to getting started, although I downloaded the Debian package directly from the RStudio website and needed to run 


sudo apt install libnss3

as there is now a new dependency. One of the surprising things for me about this process was that I remembered how to use Vi well enough I didn't read the instructions until I had already edited the file. 

Pros:

  • Offline access to an R environment, on the go
Cons:
  • Most Chromebooks are under-powered, so not useful for any heavy data crunching!
  • Bit effort/familiarity required with Linux command line

Option 3 - In the cloud!


One of the more exciting options is the new https://rstudio.cloud/ as the name suggests this is a hosted version of RStudio in the cloud. Similar to the AWS option but even less to worry about. I created an account using my GitHub credentials and then imported a project from GitHub and was up and running. No setup that isn't directly related to the code that you want to run. Nice tool-tips that prompt you to install required packages that aren't already in your workspace. Not surprised how well this works given RStudio has had a server version for years, this probably gave them a head start over putting a pure desktop app.


Pros:
  • Really easy to use
  • Hosting all taken care of
  • It's still in beta - so no cost yet

Cons:
  • It's still in beta - so potential disruption to service

Option 4 - RStudio Desktop/Server at home


Speaking of RStudio's sever version ... I have recently rebuilt an old PC for my photography hobby editing. This includes an NVidia graphics card that could also be used for some GPU acceleration, for example TensorFlow for R, if I just use that :-) I think from looking at the three other options, now I have a more powerful setup this will be the most straight forward option! I'm keeping an eye on RStudio.cloud though, as it does save the overhead of version management.

Some of my adventures to date

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

CONFERENCE: TTI Summer Forum 2017 – Getting to Grips with GDPR

On HBX and online education

On performance and environment