MEETUP: "Gutenberg and Security Talks" at WordUp Brighton

Last night I attended the first WordUp Brighton event of 2018. Tammie Lister talked about the new WordPress editor, Gutenberg, and Dave Potter gave a talk on security. This was outside of my usual bubble as I'm making more of an effort in 2018 to explore the local "tech scene" outside of day-to-day concerns.

Dave started off with a great look at "security". This wasn't the talk I was expecting from the title but brilliant. I had initially thought it would be about things like hacking, but it was more to do with the security of business processes. So important things like back-up and retention strategies, which introduced the hot topic of GDPR! How hosting impacts those. Also other things to look out for in hosting that can impact your business continuity, like what do hosts do when they see network spikes ... will they just take down your instance or a whole server?

Tammie then did an intro to a new WordPress editor from Project Gutenburg. This looks like it will greatly improve the editing experience and make it more like the end result. She then bravely did live demos! Including adding a WordPress plugin and then using the output saved "block" in a new post. Overall I was very impressed by the new experience, as I know how much of a pain WYSIWYG editors can be. I also thought that the little nudges for accessibility were a step in the right direction, for example warning when text contrast is below a certain level.

One thing that I was surprised about was that my previous experience using Zope and Plone earlier in my career. I have done lots of things since then, but the memories of  setting up content and structuring it came flooding back. After the talks a lot of the conversations that I eavesdropped used words like "Information architecture" and "taxonomy". But they also linked that to very real world concerns around how change impacts users, how to manage deprecation in contexts where changes are very infrequent. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

CONFERENCE: TTI Summer Forum 2017 – Getting to Grips with GDPR

On HBX and online education

On performance and environment