Be in the presentAlthough you have knowledge about the original use case, be careful to remember
- not to fight the battles of the past - take note of current context
- or to solve the problems of the past - the world is (probably) a different place now
- You ain't gonna need it yet (YAGNIY) - solve the problem you have now
One thing I really like in this area are Job Stories and the way in which they lead you to start with context and look forward to outcomes.
Keep it focusedThis feature works and is being still being used, why is that? I look at these things to keep a focus on where the value is
- what works - how has this feature been successful?
- what didn't turn out as expected? - and is it needed anymore?
- is there anything that could be tweaked to make it simpler?
Example of focus
Given how different this feature is from the rest of the app I can't but help think this was one of those "wouldn't be nice if ..." features.